venerdì 12 ottobre 2012
Intervista con Sonya - Calm Of Zero (Ex Echobelly)
Sonya Aurora Madan and Glenn Johansson sono i Calm Of Zero.
Si avete ragione, sono proprio loro, l'asse portante degli Echobelly, un gruppo fondamentale a dir poco per il brit-pop.
Ora hanno un nuovo progetto, i Calm Of Zero appunto, per il momento basato su sonorità acustiche, che li vede ancora insieme artisticamente ed è atteso a breve (15 ottobre) l'ep Acoustic Sessions 2.
Sentire quella voce che tanto ci ha fatto sognare negli anni '90 beh, mette addosso la stessa emozione di un tempo, così come la chitarra educata e gentile di Glenn.
Potevamo lasciarci scappare una chiacchierata via mail con loro? Ovviamente no! E la splendida Sonya si dedica alle risposte....oh mamma mia che emozione....
Eccola qui l'intervista, in inglese, prima di dedicarmi alla traduzione che troverete prestissimo sul sito di Troublezine e Radio Popolare Verona.
Grazie ovviamente a Claudio Rizzi per il supporto fondamentale!
Buona lettura! Ricky
Ricky - Hi there, how are you? I guess Acoustic Sessions 2 release is making you glad and excited.
Sonya - WE ARE FINE THANKS, RICCARDO. YES WE ARE GLAD TO BE RELEASING ACOUSTIC SESSIONS 2. IT TOOK A LITTLE BIT LONGER THAN WE HAD ANTICIPATED BUT GLAD TO GET IT OUT THERE.
- It's good to notice that your artistic partnership is still working so good after so many years. I guess that Echobelly 20 years long experience teached you so many things about human and artistic relationships. You can benefit from what you learned in all you are doing.
IT IS ONLY WHEN SOMEONE REMINDS ME THAT IT HAS BEEN TWENTY YEARS THAT I THINK, WOW, REALLY THAT LONG!! I DON'T SEE IT IN TERMS OF TIME BUT
KEEP LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEXT TUNE THAT GLENN WILL WRITE, SO I CAN PUT LYRICS ON TO IT.
- Acoustic Sessions 2 looks like a "continuation" of the previous work. What will you do in the future: will you keep this kind of sound or will you change arrangements?
THE PLAN IS TO RUN THE ACOUSTIC SESSIONS PARALLEL TO HAVING A FULL BAND LINE UP. BUT THAT TAKES BACKING AND COMMITMENT WHICH IS NOT THERE YET .
- In my opinion the acoustic aspect gives prominence to two factors: the beautiful Sonya's voice(years pass by but she seems to stay the same) and your will to not make stock pop songs and instead to be out of the mould and open to new sounds. Do you agree?
THANKS FOR SAYING SUCH NICE THINGS ABOUT MY VOICE. IT MAKES ME HAPPY. YES THE ACOUSTIC SESSIONS HAVE ALLOWED US TO EXPERIMENT FREELY WITHOUT THE PRESSURE OF HAVING TO TRY TO HAVE "HIT" POP SINGLES.
- Calm Of Zero can be intense, thoughtful and touching as much as Echobelly (in their earliest records) were immediate, melodic and explosive with their guitar pop. I think both sounds are two faces of the same medal, expecially if i look back to the Echobelly career final part, when your music was a little bit more introspective than before. What do you think about that?
WE HAVE ALWAYS HAD MANY DIMENSIONS TO OUR WRITING AND OUR INFLUENCES ARE DIVERSE, SO IT MUST SHOW THROUGH THE MUSIC.
- What kind of memories have you got of Britpop years(that you lived as protagonists)? If we leave aside some questionable journalistic aspects, the "movement" was in my opinion plenty of vitality and passion. Have you got regrets?
IT WAS ACTUALLY GREAT FUN BEING IN A BAND IN ENGLAND IN THOSE TIMES. LOTS OF THINGS GOING ON, ESPECIALLY IN LONDON.
- Some artists don't want to have anything to do with their past anymore, they think it is a closed book. On the contrary you seem to have a big respect for Echobelly songs. That makes me happy.
YES I HAVE A HEALTHY REGARD FOR WHAT WE HAVE DONE AND AN EAGERNESS TO DISCOVER WHAT WILL BE WRITTEN.
- It would be great to have the chance to see you live! Maybe in Italy where you have already been to as Echobelly!
ONE DAY….. THAT WOULD BE GREAT FOR US TOO!! ITALY IS SUCH A FANTASTIC PLACE!!
- Sonya, after so many years "can you imagine a world without you"?
HA HA!! OF COURSE NOT!!
- Ok, please could you choose a Calm Of Zero track that could be played as final theme song for our chat?
IT WOULD BE BETTER IF YOU CHOOSE.
THANKS AND BYE!